What fabric should I use for what project?
- Cotton Poplin is a woven cotton base (135gsm) that has a plain woven surface with no ribbing, it’s great for woven clothing patterns, lightweight tote bags, cushion covers etc.
- Cotton Canvas is a more durable woven fabric (240gsm) that’s great for bags, backpacks, wallets etc.
- Cotton Lycra is a stretch knit fabric, 95/5 (220-240gsm). It has 4 way stretch and great recovery, it's perfect for making dresses, t-shirts, hoodies etc.
- Minky is a plush double sided fabric that is 100% polyester, it’s like faux mink. It’s very very soft, and great to make blankets, baby toys, tag blankets, nappies etc.
-Swim is a slick stretch fabric, it is a nylon/lycra blend. It’s great for swimsuits, rashies, leggings and even silky feeling robes.
-Peach Skin or Boardshort fabric is 100% polyester, it has this peach fuzz feeling to it, it’s very fast drying, and quite thin while being sturdy. It's great for board shorts, tote bags and many other things.
-Stretch Fleece is 100% polyester, with a feel very similar to Cotton Lycra, it has 4 way stretch like CL but is softer, has a low fluffy pile and is much warmer. You can use it for essentially everything you’d use cotton lycra for but it’s warmer.
-PUL is 100% polyester with a waterproof Polyurethane laminate bonding to the underside. PUL is used a lot to make cloth nappies but can also be used to make bibs, art smocks, bed wetter sheets, training pants, menstrual and breast pads, carseat covers, pram liners, baby change mats and so much more.
- French Terry is similar to Cotton Lycra, 95/5 (280gsm), and feels like CL on the printed side, but it warmer and more absorbent. Great for making warmer clothes, but great for making tea towels and thin swim dressing gowns etc.